Saturday, July 7, 2007

Porkchikenflatfish

That is what we have called it. The "other" white meat. We know it's not a beef product of any type but after that, we're not sure what it is exactly. I'm talking about the meat we have had for dinner since we have been here. Our meals have been arranged and as I understand "business dinners" were ordered so we could eat when we returned from the festivals each evening. That is really cool. But we noticed a patter after a few days. The meat portion of the meal looked identical. One night it was chicken, one night fish, and one night it was pork. It was all breaded and pressed real flat. All of them were prepared the same way, without any seasonings of any type. So we coined the term, "Porkchickenflatfish" to describe the "other white meat".

That will help explain the excitement when we saw the sound check schedule an realized we were going to miss our catered lunch. We HAD to send out for McDonalds. Believe it or not, it was the best McDonalds I've had this month. It's the only McDonalds I've had this month so I guess there's nothing to compare it too. In any case, we enjoyed the burgers and fries.

Here to the left is our resident McDonalds expert Paul Hendrix. Paul has eaten at McDonalds on every continent except Antarctica. Paul managed a McDonalds for 5 years. It's a trip to be around him in McDonalds. He has them sized up about 3 steps in the door. The last time we crossed the threshold of a Mickey'D's we were in Norfolk, Va. While we were waiting in line Paul pointed out all the things that weren't up to par with the McDonalds standard. It really is very interesting. Did you know that the bathroom in a McDonalds shouldn't have any type of smell when you walk in. That piece of useless trivia is free.


This blog has taken 4 days to post and to be honest I don't know where my train of thought is. I know that as excited as we were to not eat at the hotel, when we got to TGI Fridays it was closed. We ended up at Arizona Bar-b-que which come to find out is owned by an American and a German. The decor was americana at it's finest and the service was fast, and good. We ended up there again on Sunday night. I apriciated the apple pie and the funny thing was it cost more than my thin crust pizza.

I must say that the breakfast buffet was a very enjoyable part of the day. I enjoyed the fresh tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and English breakfast tea.

I can't believe I spent so much time talking about food.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Funny post, Jim. Thanks for the FREE McDonald's Trivia. You should pass on that info to Josh T. I have had McDonald's in France and it tasted strange. Glad the food was a good distraction for you.

Jim said...

I never thought I would actually look forward to eating it.

stevievan said...

Food.... it's the devil's business. Be careful, Jim. Next thing you know, you'll be drinking sugar soda!