Monday, October 15, 2007

Tight Flight(s)

I'm not a stranger to traveling but yesterday was one of those days I actually thought "I might not make it". It all started in San Diego as I started my journey to Busan, South Korea. Our American Eagle flight was 20 minutes late in boarding. It was actually late arriving but they turn the little planes around pretty quick. We boarded at 10:40am. I got on the plane and fell a sleep. I woke up as we were coming on approach into LAX. The 2 people across the isle were talking about how close their international flights were. I looked at my watch and realized it was noon and we still weren't on the ground.

I checked my ticket to confirm that I had a 1pm departure. LAX international terminal can be brutal if you have to through security and I needed to get a seat assignment. It turns out that American Eagle buses you to your terminal so we got dropped off a few gates away from where we were departing. That was cool, except for the line of people at the counter trying to get on the flight and the fact that we were now 20 minutes from departure. One of the agents taking tickets decided to help me out and she entered my passport info and generated a seat assignment and I boarded the plane. Departure time came and went and we were delayed because they were still loading luggage. For this I am grateful.

We arrived in Tokyo some time later...11 or 12 hours later. As we were getting off the plane I saw one of the other crew members who was on the same flight. We followed the signs for international connections and went through another set of security down some steps and straight onto another plane. We had an hour from the time we landed until our scheduled departure to Busan. Again we waited until all the luggage was loaded, again, I'm grateful for that, and then we departed. 2 1/2 hours later we arrived in South Korea.

I was thinking on the plane, this is the first time that I have been to Asia. I think I have now stepped foot on every continent. I think that is pretty cool, just a piece of useless trivia.

I think this feels more foreign because its nearly impossible to make any sense out of the letters. Oh well, most of the signs have English subtitles. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get them downloaded.

No comments: