Friday, October 19, 2007

One last thought...

I was thinking as I was getting to the end of this book that some of the changes in my thinking have been encouraged by Erwin McManus, Rob Bell, Donald Miller and Scot McKnight just to name a few. Maybe it's that some of the things they say aren't really mainstream. They are fresh and different.

So near the end of the book Erwin discusses the statement that "God wants to keep you safe." Looking at some of the examples that are used in the book I would have to say that may not always be the case. There are tons of examples, and maybe we can discuss this sometime, of just the opposite.

This paragraph bothered me:

"It may seem counterintuitive, but the more civilized we seem to become, the more detached from the pain of others we end up finding ourselves. The most civilized churches have really no practical concern for people outside their congregations. The brokenness of a lost and unbelieving world is not enough to inspire the painful changes necessary to make the church relevant to the world in which we live."

I'm asking myself where do I fit into this? How concerned am I? How relevant? How involved?

No comments: